***The only programs that are currently able to receive Federal Financial Aid are Practical Nursing, Cosmetology, Esthetics, Nail Technician, Office Support Specialist, and Precision Machining.***
FAFSA on the Web
FAFSA on the Web is the way to apply online for student financial aid! When you apply online, you don't hassle with paperwork, and you get your results faster. Plus, help filling out your FAFSA is built into the system, so you'll know what to do as you go along. You can even chat live online with a customer service representative if you need personal assistance. This help is free, you don't have to pay us or anyone else for assistance. For another form of free help, check out Completing the FAFSA, below.
Types of Financial Aid
GST BOCES offers financial aid through federal and private programs in the form of grants and loans. Both full-time and part-time students may qualify.
Grants, which are based on need, also do not need to be repaid. Grants offered by the federal government include the following:
- Pell Grant
- The Federal Pell Grant does not need to be repaid. Pell Grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelors or professional degree.
- For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.
- To determine if you are eligible, the department of education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information you reported on your FAFSA.
- Programs eligible for the Pell Grant are Practical Nursing, Cosmetology, and Esthetics.
Students and parents may borrow money through federal loan programs. Unlike the Pell grant, loans must be repaid and with interest.
- William D. Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loan
- Under this program, monies are borrowed by the student to pay for their educational expenses.
- Subsidized and unsubsidized loans may be available depending on eligibility requirements.
- You will be notified of your eligibility amount after enrolling into a qualified program.
- Parents' Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
- Parents may also borrow money in their name to help meet the students' educational expenses.
- The PLUS loan is available to parent borrowers who do not have an adverse credit history.
- Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan (Private Loan)
- This private loan allows you to borrow up to the full cost of attendance, less other aid received.
- The Smart Option Loan is available when a tuition exceeds $1,000.
- A creditworthy cosigner may also help you qualify and/or receive a lower interest rate.
- For more information, visit www.salliemae.com.
Student Aid on the Web
Student Aid on the Web is a great resource for free information from the U.S. Department of Education on preparing for and funding education beyond high school.
Financial Aid Verification Worksheet
Each year the United States Department of Education randomly selects Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to undergo the verification process. Schools also independently select specific applications to undergo verification if there are discrepancies in the data the student provided in their Financial Aid application. If you are chosen for verification you must submit requested documentation and complete a verification worksheet in order to complete your application for financial aid. GST BOCES will inform you of required documentation if selected.