Adult Literacy Programs
Adult literacy programs assist adults:
- to increase academic proficiency in reading, math, and writing in order to gain knowledge and skills necessary for employment and self-sufficiency
- who are parents/guardians to obtain the educational skills necessary to become full partners in the educational development of their children
- to obtain a secondary school credential
Effective January 1, 2014
High School Equivalency Diploma (HSE)
- New York State is no longer using the GED exam to obtain an HSE. The new test series is called TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion). Scores from GED Exams previously taken may be combined with new test scores. Updates to this information are available on the New York State Education Department website
- The TASC test will measure common core standards in Math, Reading, Social Studies, Science and Writing. Upon completion of the new assessment, a tester will earn a New York State High School Equivalency Diploma.
- If you are interested in earning a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma through an alternate pathway, please call (607) 739-7684 and ask about the National External Diploma Program.
Literacy Program Descriptions
Adult Basic Education (ABE)
Instruction in reading, mathematics, writing, and computer skills for students who require basic skill review. An academic assessment is measured using the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE.)
English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Instruction in listening, reading, oral and written communication for individuals with limited English proficiency. U.S. customs, culture, and civics lessons are included.
Distance Learning (DL) is an educational program where the majority of the learning takes place with the teacher and student at different locations. Instruction must be individually prescribed to appropriate students and be educationally sound with anticipation of educational gain and goal attainment. Students must be able to work independently and devote at least 6 hours per week to studying. Individualized home study packets are assigned twice a month. Enrolled students must document completed work on a student log.
Distance Learning options:
Giving Ready Adults a Study Program (GRASP) - Designed for adults, 21 or over, with a high school reading level who are preparing for the HSE exam. To get started, call (607) 739-7684.
The National External Diploma Program® (NEDP®)
The National External Diploma Program® (NEDP®) is a complete assessment program that allows adults to demonstrate transferable skills. NEDP® is a competency-based, applied performance assessment system that expects adults to demonstrate their ability in a series of simulations that parallel job and life situations. In addition, each student must fulfill an individual competency. To get started, call (607) 739-7684.
The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) is an assessment required prior to entry into literacy and career training programs. The assessment is offered at various times and locations each week. Since the assessment is timed, you should plan to be there for at least 3 hours. Call (607) 739-7684 to schedule an assessment.
New York State has chosen the TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion™) for the high school equivalency exam beginning January 2014.
Passing this exam is one way adults and out of school youth who did not finish high school can get a high school equivalency diploma. In New York State, the GED® test is no longer the path to a high school equivalency diploma.
2018 TASC Exam Dates/Locations
|Bush||June 1 & 2|
October 12 & 13
|Bath||May 4 & 5|
October 26 & 27
Required to sit for the exam:
Picture ID from NYS DMV (Driver License, Permit or Non-Driver ID)
ONE of the following: social security card, birth certificate, library card, or credit card
Information on the TASC Exam and Documents can be found at:
Completed applications can be mailed to:
GST BOCES - Adult Ed
459 Philo Rd - Bldg. 8
Elmira, NY 14903