Adult literacy programs assist adults:
- to increase academic proficiency in reading, math, and writing in order to gain knowledge and skills necessary for employment and self-sufficiency
- who are parents/guardians to obtain the educational skills necessary to become full partners in the educational development of their children
- to obtain a secondary school credential
Effective January 1, 2014
High School Equivalency Diploma (HSE)
- New York State is no longer using the GED exam to obtain a HSE. The new test series is called TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion. Scores from GED Exams previously taken may be combined with new test scores. Updates to this information are available on the New York State Education Department website
- If you are interested in earning a local high school diploma instead of a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma, please call 739 -7684 and ask about the National External Diploma Program.
- The new test series (TASC) will measure common core standards in Math, Reading, Social Studies, Science and Writing. Upon completion of the new assessment, a tester will earn a New York State High School Equivalency Diploma.
Instruction in reading, mathematics, writing, and computer skills for students who require basic skill review. An academic assessment is measured using the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE.)
Instruction in listening, reading, oral and written communication for individuals with limited English proficiency.
Distance Learning (DL) is an educational program where the majority of the learning takes place with the teacher and student at different locations. Instruction must be individually prescribed to appropriate students and be educationally sound with anticipation of educational gain and goal attainment. Students must be able to work independently and devote at least 6 hours per week to studying. Individualized home study packets are assigned twice a month. Enrolled students must document completed work on a student log.
GST BOCES offers several Distance Learning options:
Skills to Make Adults Ready to Succeed (SMART) - This is a curriculum composed of two segments: an academic core curriculum of reading, math and writing, along with four living and workplace components.
Giving Ready Adults a Study Program (GRASP) - Designed for adults with a high school reading level who are preparing for the HSE exam.
The National External Diploma Program (NEDP) is a complete assessment program that allows adults to demonstrate transferable skills. NEDP is a competency-based, applied performance assessment system that expects adults to demonstrate their ability in a series of simulations that parallel job and life situations. Participants are evaluated against a criterion of excellence which requires 100% mastery. Advisors and Assessors work with students to help direct them toward the instruction needed to complete the 65 competencies required through existing community resources. In addition, each student must fulfill an individual competency.
The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) is an assessment required prior to entry into literacy and career training programs. The assessment is offered at various times and locations each week. Since the assessment is timed, you should plan to be there for at least 3 hours. Call 607-739-7684 to schedule an assessment.
New York State has chosen the TASC â€“ Test Assessing Secondary Completionâ„¢ for the high school equivalency exam beginning January 2014.
This exam is produced by CTB/McGraw-Hill for national use. Passing this exam is one way adults and out of school youth who did not finish high school can get a high school equivalency diploma. In New York State, the GEDÂ® test is no longer the path to a high school equivalency diploma.
2016 TASC Exam Dates/Locations
|Bush||April 22 & 23|
October 14 & 15
|Bath||April 1 & 2|
September 30 & October 1
Required to sit for the exam:
Picture ID from NYS DMV (Driver License, Permit or Non-Driver ID)
ONE of the following: social security card, birth certificate, library card, or credit card
Information on the TASC Exam and Documents can be found at:
Completed applications can be mailed to:
GST BOCES - Adult Ed
459 Philo Rd - Bldg. 8
Elmira, NY 14903